The Hamilton County Library has a Behavior Policy that has guidelines on how Patrons of the library, at any age, should conduct their actions and speech while at the Hamilton County Library. The Behavior Policy covers actions that would warrant immediate dismissal from library premises, actions that would warrant warnings and then possible dismissal if continued, and behaviors that would not warrant any action.
Patron Behavior Policy
Behavior which may result in being asked to leave the library:
1. Abusive, threatening, or menacing language.
2. Physical, sexual, or verbal harassment of an individual, public, or staff. This includes harassment through the Internet or other computer resources.
3. Unreasonable, intentional noise which affects the ability to function of those individuals working in the area.
4. Taunting, following, stalking, provoking, or challenging an individual.
5. Fighting or wrestling.
6. Threatening harm to person, or property.
7. Hindering, impeding, or preventing the movement of an individual into, out of, or about the library property.
8. Unauthorized possession or mutilation of library materials.
9. Unauthorized possession or mutilation of an individual’s personal property.
10. Exhibiting unacceptable behavior which indicates an individual is under the influence of alcohol, beer, or any controlled substance.
11. Selling, purchasing, or offering for purchase any item or service while on library property.
12. Destruction, mutilation, or damaging of library property and facilities.
13. Failure to wear shoes and/or shirt.
14. Any other act(s) not covered above which threaten an individual, public, staff, library property and facilities, and library materials.
15. Any illegal act.
16. Trespassing in a non-public area of any library property and facility.
Behavior for which an individual may be warned as inappropriate – one or more warnings may result in being asked to leave:
2. Eating and/or drinking except at a library-sponsored event.
3. Use of tobacco products on library property, including e-cigarettes.
4. Cell phone use which disturbs others.
5. Selling, purchasing, or offering to sell products to any individual.
7. Horseplay in the library and on library property.
8. Loud talking or laughter which disturbs others.
9. Use of public restrooms or library facilities for bathing or laundering purposes.
10. Running in the library.
11. Repetitive in and out of the library front doors.
Behavior for which no action will be taken:
1. Staring into space or at an individual.
2. Playing games which do not hinder library operations and in which no gambling takes place.
3. Personal hygiene.
4. Quiet talking.
Patrons with a grievance will take the grievance to the Library Director. Every effort will be made to resolve the problem at that level. If a resolution cannot be made, the grievance will be made in writing to the Library Board.
A pdf. copy of the Patron Behavior Policy is available online and at the front desk of the Hamilton County Library.